Attorney General Holder to keynote APA-ABA national conference on confronting family and community violence
Psychology and law collaborate to help prevent violence in homes, communities and society with a continuing education conference May 1-3 in Washington, D.C.
- APA council focuses on advancing the field
In addition to continuing to fine tune APA’s governance structure, the Council of Representatives adopted policies on preparing health service psychologists and gun violence.
- APA Informs Federal Officials of Policy Changes Related to Detainee Welfare and Interrogation in National Security Settings
Calls on federal agencies to avoid placing health providers in roles and situations that conflict with professional ethics
- APA endorses principles encouraging physicians to incorporate behavioral health care into their practices
The principles focus on the patient-centered medical home model of health care delivery and highlight the integration of behavioral and physical health care.
- Member involvement needed to help increase health insurance enrollment
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services asks APA members to help with Affordable Care Act enrollment efforts.
- Additional resources available for psychologists working in integrated care settings
A new briefing sheet from APA’s Center for Psychology and Health and a continuing education workshop highlight psychologists’ role in primary care.
- Training on military mental health part of APA-sponsored Give an Hour Celebration of Service event
The April 7 training conference will provide future psychologists the tools necessary to treat members of the military and their families.
- What do scientists gain at APA's Advanced Training Institutes?
Past participants point to new research skills, career guidance and expanded professional networks.
- APA’s Board of Educational Affairs awards $10,000 to educational training grant winners
Conferences will focus on clinical competencies, integrated health care, violence, trauma, sexual harassment, older adult health and more.
From APA Publishing
- Helping Skills
New material in this 4th edition includes chapters on self-awareness and cultural awareness, a glossary, additional methods for challenging clients, and summaries of empirical studies.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder in Children and Adolescents
This book offers practical, research-based information on the challenges facing educators and schools in identifying and delivering services to students with autism spectrum disorder.
Calls for Applications
- Professional Development Awards for High School Psychology Teachers
Up to $500 to help high school psychology teachers travel to and attend the APA Annual Convention, Aug. 6-9, 2015, Toronto.
- High School Psychology Teacher Network Grants
$3,000 to support the development of local and regional networks of high school psychology teachers. Proposals to support local workshops for teachers are preferred.
Featured APA job opening
Associate ED, Accreditation
Applications are being accepted for an associate executive director to lead and oversee staff working in the APA Education Directorate Office of Program Consultation and Accreditation.
APA member Eli Finkel, PhD, in:
The All-or-Nothing Marriage — The New York Times
“As the expectations of marriage have ascended Maslow’s hierarchy, the potential psychological payoffs have increased — but achieving those results has become more demanding.”
Speaking of Psychology
"Speaking of Psychology" is an audio podcast series that gives psychologists the opportunity to talk about their work and share their insights.
Episode 7: Better health through integrated care (Norman B. Anderson, PhD)