PsycBOOKS® is a full-text database that provides electronic access to thousands of scholarly and professional titles published by APA, including the most recent titles in psychological and behavioral science, plus a substantial backfile of classic and historic works.
What you can expect from PsycBOOKS
Current and Comprehensive Coverage
- The most current and comprehensive, chapter-level electronic access option available for APA-published scholarly and professional books
- Includes the newest APA-published scholarly and professional books as they are released
- Includes all volumes of the APA Handbooks in Psychology® Series
- Scholarly publications ranging from the most current clinical theories to the historic underpinnings of psychology from books published in the early 17th Century
- Professional titles that present applications for behavioral science in contemporary issues
- Chapters from hard-to-find classic books and digitized content from the Archives of the History of American Psychology
- Bibliographic records carefully developed by APA experts that yield precise results
- APA books are fully vetted through peer review at proposal and manuscript stages
- Includes all 1,500 entries in the Encyclopedia of Psychology, co-published by APA and Oxford University Press
- APA books are authored by distinguished researchers and practitioners
- Included books are anchored in theory, informed by empirical research, and draw out practical applications
- MARC records available
- DOIs assigned for direct linking to full-text after discovery
- Full-text chapters are displayed as downloadable PDFs
- Each title and chapter indexed with a PsycINFO® record by subject experts to yield precise results
- For a listing of subject areas covered by PsycBOOKS, visit our APA Books® page.
Note: PsycBOOKS does not include APA Style® products, Magination Press® children's titles, APA LifeTools® trade book titles, textbooks, encyclopedias, or other reference publications.
|Database Type||Full text|
|Record Type||Books and book chapters|
|Number of Records||
|Update Frequency||Updated Monthly|
|Record Format||Downloadable PDF|
|Exclusions||PsycBOOKS does not include APA Style products, Magination Press children's titles, APA LifeTools trade book titles, textbooks, encyclopedias, or other reference publications.|
The PsycBOOKS® database is produced and copyrighted by the American Psychological Association (APA). All rights reserved.
Information current as of March 2015
Individual access to PsycBOOKS can be obtained in the following ways:
- Subscription Access – PsycBOOKS is included in a subscription to APA PsycNET® Gold, APA PsycNET Gold Plus, and APA PsycNET Platinum. Each subscription package provides comprehensive access to quality research at an affordable price.
- On-Demand Access – search the database and browse tables of contents and abstracts at no charge, pay only to download full-text chapters
Institutional access to PsycBOOKS can be obtained by a site license through the following vendors:
Other Information for institutions:
Learn more about searching PsycBOOKS. Take a look at our:
A variety of additional training materials and tools are available from our Search Help and Training Center.
Tips & Training
- Webinar Training – sessions for students and faculty, librarians and individual subscribers
- Video Tutorials – for APA Databases on APA PsycNET, EBSCOhost, ProQuest and OvidSP
- Podcasts – audio summaries of research recently added to PsycEXTRA, PsycBOOKS and PsycCRITIQUES (also available from iTunes)
- Search Guides – platform-specific training materials, including Quick Reference Guides
- Search Lessons – sample search lessons guide the user through database functionality or sample searches, in PDF and video
- Topic Guides – tips for searching APA Databases for a particular topic area
- PsycINFO News – newsletter about APA Databases
- Classification Codes – categorizing database content by primary subject matter
- Field Guide – quick definitions of the fields in APA Databases
- Record Structures – in-depth information on the searchable fields in: