Curriculum & Teaching
Teaching Psychology to Undergraduates
Building Better Psych Departments: Using APA's benchmarks, departments can assess their programs by examining eight broad educational dimensions, including curriculum and administrative support.
- A Primer on Teaching Positive Psychology: Connect positive psychology to students' lives, whether you're teaching one unit or a whole course
- Teaching Students the Rewards of Research: How a professor created a successful student research program
- Closer Connections: Undergraduate programs building closer-knit communities for students to prevent burnout, dropouts and anxiety
Guidelines & Publications
- Strengthening the Common Core of the Introductory Psychology Course (PDF, 221KB): An APA working group argues for five major recommendations to enhance the teaching of introductory psychology. (Note: APA reports synthesize current psychological knowledge in a given area and may offer recommendations for future action. They do not constitute APA policy or commit APA to the activities described therein. This particular report originated with the APA Board of Educational Affairs.)
- Guidelines for the Undergraduate Psychology Major: Describes a set of learning goals and outcomes for psychology majors at the completion of the baccalaureate degree.
- Assessment CyberGuide for Learning Goals & Outcomes in the Undergraduate Psychology Major: Companion resource for implementing the APA guidelines. The cyberguide should aid psychology departments and their faculty to design the most appropriate and effective assessment plans.
- Undergraduate Writing in Psychology: Learning to Tell the Scientific Story, Revised Edition: Guidance on how to communicate with instructors on a professional level is given, and the book shows examples of checklists and grading rubrics instructors might use.
- Evidence-Based Teaching for Higher Education: APA book synthesizes scholarship of teaching and learning findings to help teachers choose techniques and tools that maximize student learning.
- Principles for Quality Undergraduate Education in Psychology: How to provide students with needed workplace skills, a solid academic background, and more.
- Undergraduate Education in Psychology: A Blueprint for the Future of the Discipline: APA book helps teachers and administrators design effective undergraduate psychology programs.
- Constructing Undergraduate Psychology Curricula: Instructional resource from APA Books offers a general framework for flexible undergraduate curricula.
- The MCAT 2015 (PDF, 353KB): A briefing of changes, the new section, and psychology's response.
- "Are There Too Many Psychology Majors?" white paper by Jane S. Halonen, PhD (PDF, 696KB): The primary issues under consideration include the popularity, utility and rigor of the psychology major.
Online Psychology Laboratory
The Online Psychology Laboratory — OPL website offers students opportunities to participate in studies and engage in data analysis. Teaching with OPL, you'll find interactive studies and demonstrations that can be integrated seamlessly into your classroom.
History of Psychology
Classics in the History of Psychology: The full texts of 200+ historically-significant articles, chapter, and books from psychology’s past. Also includes 20+ short introductions and/or commentaries by experts in the field.