Education Government Relations Office
Part of the Education Directorate, this office seeks to increase federal support for psychology education and training and to promote the application of psychology to education and training.
Key Policy Areas
Community Health Centers
APA advocacy efforts related to access to primary health care services — and integrated mental and behavioral health care — for individuals in medically underserved urban and rural areas.
Early Childhood, K-12 and Higher Education
APA advocacy efforts related to psychology’s role in education programs to improve teaching and learning — from testing and curriculum development, to violence prevention in schools and colleges.
Graduate Psychology Education
APA advocacy efforts related to GPE, the only federal program dedicated to the education and training of psychologists. Grants for APA-accredited programs bring mental health care to underserved populations.
Federal Program Spending
APA advocacy efforts related to funding for federal programs critical to the deployment of psychological practice and research in the service of promoting health and human welfare.
National Health Service Corps
APA advocacy efforts related to NHSC, a federal program that recruits health care professionals to serve in high-needs, community-based systems of care in return for scholarship or loan repayment assistance.
APA advocacy efforts related to workforce issues concerning psychologists — shortage of qualified mental health professionals, availability and funding of federal programs.
News & Events
FY 2014 Appropriations Update: Congress Supports Increasing Investment in Graduate Psychology Education
More than $7 million has been appropriated for the mental and behavioral health program at the Health Resources and Services Administration.
SAMHSA Awards 22 Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act Grants
Grants will be used to fund youth suicide prevention programs.
Despite Shutdown, APA Advocates for Youth Suicide Prevention
Participants of APA’s 2013 Education Leadership Conference met with Congressional offices to advocate for the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act Reauthorization of 2013.
Higher Education Act Reauthorization 2013
APA submits recommendations that would ultimately increase access to postsecondary study.
2013 Advocacy Breakfast: Violence Prevention and Safe Schools
2013 annual Education Advocacy Breakfast highlights advocacy in preventing violence and promoting safe school environments.
Student Loan Interest Rates
Senate approves legislation to lower interest rates and protect borrowers.
Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act Reauthorization Introduced in 113th Congress
Bipartisan, bicameral legislation to support campus suicide prevention is introduced in the 113th Congress.
HRSA Announces FY 2013 GPE Grantees
Grants were awarded to train psychologists working with underserved populations such as older adults, children, the chronically ill, victims of abuse and trauma including veterans and their families, unemployed persons, and victims of natural disasters.
- APA Comments to the Senate HELP Committee on Graduate Student Loan Affordability (PDF, 79KB)
- APA Comments to the House Education & the Workforce Committee on Graduate Student Loan Affordability (PDF, 77KB)
- List of GPE Grants-at-a-Glance: 2002-2013
- Psychology in Primary Care
- Psychologists' Critical Role in Addressing the Trauma of Joblessness
- Psychologists' Role in Meeting the Mental and Behavioral Health Needs of Veterans
- The Critical Need for Mental Health Professionals Trained to Treat PTSD & TBI
- Caring for the Chronically Ill
- Mental and Behavioral Health and Older Americans
- Addressing the Mental & Behavioral Health Needs of Underserved Populations
- FY 2014 Congressional Appropriations Request: Strengthen the Graduate Psychology Education Program
- Federal Education Advocacy Coordinators (FEDAC) at the 2012 Education Leadership Conference
- Over 20 years of success and wins for the APA Education Government Relations Office (PDF, 302KB)
- Advancing psychology education and training: A psychologist's guide to federal advocacy (PDF, 397KB)